Sep 24, 2008

Training for the Ragnar Relay (Oct 24-25)...

The race is from San Antonio to Austin!

What is Ragnar? It is a 180 mile 24 hour 12 man relay race that originated in Utah of all places. All the runners do three different legs over the course of the race. I joined a team with one of my friends from church.
Me running in the Echo Triathlon
I'll be running a 6.7-mile leg around 6:00PM. The next begins at 6:15 AM with another 6.7 miles, and finally another 4 miles hill section to finish up my legs. I'm expected to run a 8 minute mile. The worst part about the last triathlon I did was that my legs were dead by the end, so hopefully all the training will pay off. At least I get a break in between all the running!

Ragnar was a 9th century Norse King. He was a pirate, a raider, a conqueror, an explorer, and a wild man. The tough, fearless, rugged attributes of this Norse King are shared by all who participate in a Ragnar Relay. In much the same way, a Ragnar Relay provides runners the freedom to roam, to explore - a free-spirited curiosity to get out there and experience outdoor adventure. And maybe even to conquer. And though tough or rugged may not perfectly describe you, these attributes become a goal - something to strive for.

It took forever, but I did finish that triathlon...

In a Ragnar Relay the wild nature of this Norse King is embraced by many participants. Participants who aren't afraid to paint their van plaid, to bring along their own hair band, to join together in yelling as they cross the finish line. You may think that you are not one of them, but you are. Everyone has a wild side and nothing brings it out of you like a Ragnar Relay.


1 comment:

Mike and Lauren said...

Good luck with the relay Doug! We miss you and Julie!