Sep 27, 2008

Catch 22: Astros v Braves

So Julie and I have been able to attend several of the Astros game here at Minute Maid Park right in downtown Houston. The stadium is closed when it is hot or raining, but on nice evenings and usually during the seventh inning stretch they will open up the roof.

Since we are now officially Houstonians we decided to cheer for the Astros (Doug on the premise it didn't interfere with teams he already had a loyalty to). Doug even bought a hat at his first game, but then the Braves came to town... As TN has no MLB Ball Club Doug has always cheered for the Atlanta Braves. "I remember going to games with my papa when I was really little and I'm a die hard fan despite the past few lack luster years. They did dominate the 90's, however," he said.
Doug's first Astros game (his Primary kid gave him tickets)

So it's kind of a Catch 22 because I normally want the Astros to win, but I have to cheer for the Braves. Julie got mad at me because I wore my Braves hat. I imagine she didn't want everyone to think that she was one too. I was fun to antagonize the fans when the Braves did well. Yeah, I was that annoying guy you want to punch, just kidding, but he did sit really close to us.

It was actually a pretty close game when the Braves tied it up in the 8th and had two people on base (2nd and 3rd), but they couldn't get another run in. At the last minute the Astros hit a walk-off homer to win the game.
The best part of going to games on a Friday night is that there is a fireworks show after and it is a lot of fun. Here are some pictures...Prior to Hurricane Ike the Astros where on a hot streak and acutally on their way to making the playoffs. Ike threw a kink in their groove and despite last night's close win over the Braves, their season will end with this final series with the Braves.

Darin Erstad's walk-off homer in the ninth gave the Astros a 5-4 win Friday,
but the Brewers' win over the Cubs eliminated Houston from the playoff chase.

No comments: